Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Safety tips

Lawrence says:--------Children can be sensitive to the chemicals in everyday cleaning products, especially if they have allergies or asthma. Because children spend 80% to 90% of their time indoors, cleaning products can pose health risks for them.

Household cleaning products can add to indoor air pollution in many ways.They send toxins out into the air when they are used. Residue can be left on indoor surfaces (like the floors and tables). They gradually send toxins out into the home when they're stored. The strong chemicals in cleaning products may cause even more cleaning power than what is needed. Some of these products are strong poisons and others contain ingredients that may be toxic.

Many soaps and other cleaning products are marketed as “anti-bacterial.” Like “disinfecting” sprays, these products may contain pesticides that kill bacteria. Bacteria and disease transmission is a real threat in some situations such as in backed-up sewers or if you're cleaning up after handling raw meats (although very hot, soapy water and good kitchen hygiene works too), but over-using bacteria-killing products may interfere with the development of a child's healthy immune system.

Products that are poisonous or corrosive (can burn holes in clothes and eat away layers of skin) are marked with hazard symbols. But these warnings are only used for the most dangerous ingredients.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...